37" polaroid lcd tv won't turn on

Problem details

I've had the tv about a year. Yesterday the blue light would come on, but there was no picture. After turning the power off a couple of times it came on. Today it won't come on at all. Please help.

Best solution

First, I am no tech, this is at your own risk! I have a flm-373b which is out of warranty 15mths. A nice paper weight. Plug it in, blue light, no picture or audio. So I got the service manual and started taking it apart. Pulled out the so called control box and at the top is what appears to be some sort of power inverter board. I looked closely and saw that there were 2 capacitors that looked damaged. One was bulged and the other looked like it had popped. They were side by side, green and marked 1000Uf 10v. I took the board to work with me and unsoldered the capacitors and very carefully replaced them with 1000Uf 16v caps. This was just a crazy chance. When I got home I put everything back together, ran 2 extension cords to the back porch and plugged it in. The tv came on faster than when it was brand new. Now I have waited 3 weeks to post this, just in case my house burned down, but the tv is still working great. Again this is at your own risk. Polaroid is not helpful and they want you to spend more money to correct their problem which will probably not correct anything. I really do wish you luck with this or with putting up with polaroids BS.

Counter